Sunday, February 27, 2011

We just don't know...

Tonight my dad was able to leave the hospital.  Things are still up in the air for everything.  I don't think my parents have had much time to even think what the next step is with all the visitors, phone calls, nurses in and out.  My poor padre would just fall asleep and it would never fail for someone to come in poking and prodding at him.  My dad mentioned that the only way to get a doctor to come see him was to fall asleep.

My parents wanted to tell their brothers and sisters the news before everyone else.  But because there are 5 on my mothers and 2 on my dads and the emotional weight that comes with breaking this kind of new, it has gone slow.

Like I wrote in my last post, wedding bells have rung.  It's in both my bucket list and my dads for him to walk me down the isle.

We found out Friday he didn't have much time here on earth with us so that night Brandon and I did a lot of crying (I did all of it really) and talking about "our" furture.  I had already made up my mind since the 10th that if we did find out my dad didn't have long, we would move fast on the wedding.  But...I hadn't told Brandon.  I kept it to myself because I didn't want to speak the words unless I had too.  And...I did.  So I asked Brandon and he was all for it.

We found out "the news" on Friday night and I knew I had to open at work on Saturday.  It was past closing time Friday when we found out but I was able to let them know I was not going to be in for my shift Saturday.  I knew I wasn't gonna be able to concentrate or even stop crying and no one wants a cashier checking them out who can't stop balling.  So Saturday I woke up and cried myself awake.  I took a shower and yelled at God.  My poor loofah and shower wall got a good beating. 

After getting ready for the day, Brandon and I headed to the mall.  Being a girl, I had a idea in my head of a possible engagment ring.  A amythest and square cut.  We found one I like at the Glenbrook mall so we headed there.  I looked to see if it was still there and then I decided to look at the other two jewlery places right next door.  We got to the second one and were sold.

I found one I like better than the first and the price was right.  We had told the seller that this was intended to be my engagement ring and what could we do about a wedding band.  He took us to another case and had the perfect fit!  So we bought them and took them straight to the hospital.  My brother Benji, and his wife Toni, had come down from Elkhart, IN to spend the day with us.  After making our entrance, we mentioned what we had done earlier that day.

I saw my daddie cry for the 6th time in my life.

Since Brandon had not asked me yet, I wasn't wearing it but we took them out and my daddie assured me with tears in his eyes that it would look lovely on my finger.  Both my parents were tearing up but my mom was screaming AND crying.  It was a great time and memory.

When my brother and sister-in-law were there at the hospital we had lots of visitors.  We (Brandon and I) were kinda on the sidelines of the room.  Everyone was talking and not paying attention to us so I wanted to look at the ring again.  Brandon took it from me and asked, put in my finger and their it has remained since 3pm Saturday afternoon.


TADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO IDEA when or where or anything for that matter.  We know were getting married before the Lord takes my daddie and that is about it.

We are waiting on some more tests to be done which will give us a better idea of a time line.  With the kidneys being what they are we might have to move as fast as within the next couple weeks.  Hopefully daddie will be strong enough make it till May so I won't have to get married and be in school at the same time but we just don't know yet. 

It's such a tough thing.  As a wise man once said, "You have to go through it.  You can not go around it, above it, under it, you have to go thought it".  -Jimmy O'Donnell. 

And that's what I'm going to try to do.  Key word: TRY.

6 comments:

Alyssa said...

Oh. My. Word. That ring is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I seriously love it. I'm so glad your dad liked it, too. I'm truly happy for you and Brandon.

Unknown said...

So incredibly excited for you both just wish it didnt have to happen on these terms. I am truly sorry to hear about your dad. I know when I got the news my Dad had 30% chance to live from his stroke I was a complete mess. Try to think positive never give up & always know everything happens for a reason sometimes we may not understand it but God has a reason for everything. I love ya sis & you are all truly in my prayers if there is anything I can do just let me know. Hey if you need help with anything for the wedding be sure to let me know as well :)

kassy said...

Your ring is beautiful and your pappa is going to be strong enough to make it to your wedding, working in the hospital setting I know that no matter how sick people are once they set their mind to something they do it, my great grandpa said he wouldn't go until Marley was born and he didn't! He waited till he got to meet her and then he was happy and decided he could go, told us all good bye and about a day and a half later he was gone, but it was something that we were all ok with because we all knew that he had received everything he wanted :) LOVE YOU!

Kristi said...

Al: Thanks!!! I love it too!!! I guess thats a good thing since it's gonna be on my finger for awhile!! :D

Aunee: Thanks for your support!

Kass: I do remember that about your great grandpa but I had forgotten. I want to stay optimistic but I also need to stay realistic. Thanks for your words. Love you lots!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Kristi and Brandon! Your engagement ring is STUNNING! I have been praying for your dad and mom, Benji and you every day since I learned of Bill's serious illness. Thank you for sharing your heart with all of us who care so deeply. Now I will add your wedding to my prayers :D...my love and prayers are with you all. Joan Sherlock

Brissa said...

the ring is beautiful!!! and i can soooo see your mom "screaming AND crying" haha.... Soooo thrilled for you!!! i can only imagin the joy this news has brought your parents, knowing them and all... yay! and it's wonderful benji was able to be there for the news too... congrats to you and Brandon. We love you both dearly!!!