Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Wait is Over.

God took my daddie early this morning.  I got a call from hospice this morning 3:26AM and was in the car by 3:30AM.  The lady from hospice told me on the phone that he might not make it before I get there and she even started crying on the phone.  I knew I wouldn't be able to drive so I got Brandon and we made the 10 minute drive to get to the hospice home from my apartment.  As we passed Fresh Market (where I work) I asked God to give me peace.  That I didn't want him to take my daddie but if it was his time to make it fast and with no pain.  And I was at peace.  I stopped crying and felt Gods presence with me.  We got there and ran inside.  We hurried along the dark hallway and the three night shift nurses were all just staring at us.  I started bawling.  I opened the door and my mom was cradling his head and told me he was gone.  I sank to the floor.  I wanted to renege what I had just told God.  I wasn't ready.  I needed more time.  I had more to say and more to share.

I was able to spend about 6 hours with my dad yesterday with just us two.  (Well, us two and the 82 nurses in and out all day).  He was so sleepy like I wrote in my last post.  He was dozing every couple minutes.  I just let him rest and if he would make a noise I'd look make sure he was ok.  After awhile he just wanted to stay up.  So I suggested maybe watching tv.  He said he'd try and we scanned through the channels.  I found the Cubs game and we watched about 6 innings together.  Although he did keep dozing on and off.  He was able to see them win.  My mom got back from Huntington and she brought food with her so I went down to the hospice kitchen and made myself something to eat.  Since she was back I decided to take off.  Last thing I said to my dad was I love you and last thing he said to me was  "love you too".  I haven't been giving him hugs because with all the tubes coming out of him and I didn't last night.  I just assumed I'd see him today.

Even though I'm adopted I am scary similar to my dad.  One thing we share in common is our love for chocolate.  Chocolate ice cream was his last meal.

I don't know whats gonna happen now.  With funeral plans and such but I'll be sure to update this when we know better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kristi,
I am so sorry that you had to lose your daddy when you are still so young. I know it must be very difficult. But I also know that God is GOOD...all the time. And your Heavenly Father will hold your hand and heart through this time!

Praying for your family.
Deb Cherry

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss, Kristi. Your dad was a great man and I'm glad to have had the privilege to work with him. As I have prayed for you and your family I found great rejoicing in reminiscing the great heart your dad had. To see how he worked with students and his longing to have them succeed. I remember the times as teachers we would get together and pray for each other, for our students and for our families. I also appreciate the heart that he had for the success of Bible Translation in PNG. I can only imagine that at his home coming there is much rejoicing in the Kingdom as he has run the great race and finished well. He now sees face to face what you and I can only see by faith. He is no longer in bed but is free of all sickness, temptation and sin.
Know that we are praying for you and your family as you grieve your loss. I trust that He who forgives all our sins is able to comfort us in all our grief. Thanks for sharing your dad with us.
Mark Kovach

Rich Mattocks said...

Kristi,
We in PNG are praying for your family. Actually we have been praying since Bonnie N. told us several months ago that your dad was struggling with cancer again. We’ve really missed your family here in PNG. I (Rich) drove past your former house here the other day and prayed for each of you. Your father was a great fellow teacher and the go-to-guy who helped me tremendously in understanding so much during my first years here in PNG. I’m sure he is dancing a jig now in heaven with his strong new body. It will be great to see your dad in heaven someday. Please give a hug to your mom and brother from Rich and Joyce Mattocks.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristi,

Aunt Bonnie here. I am so sorry we can't be with you right now helping with practical details as your parents always did for us. And, I'm sorry we can participate in the celebration of your dad's life. I'm sending some pictures of memories we recorded of your dad.

Holidays often become so familiar they loose significance. It's Easter already here in PNG.
My reading this morning was from Romans 5.


Since he had been justified through faith, your dad had peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom he gained access by faith into this grace in which he stood in this life. In this life your dad rejoiced in the hope of the glory of God. His sufferings produced perseverence and character and hope. And his hope did not disappoint him.

In this life, sin still reigns in death. But in Christ, grace now reigns in eternal life.

Your dad has been raised to new life and has met the resurrected Christ!

We continute to pray for you who remain in this life where sin and death and suffering still reign. May your sufferings produce in you the same perseverance and character and hope they did in your dad. May you stand firm now in this life in God's abundant provision of grace and some day stand with your dad in the presence of Christ in eternal life.

Love and hugs and tears,
Aund Bonnie