Sunday, April 3, 2011

Blessed Thru Pain

A lot has happened since I've last written.

My parents have decided to turn from palliative care to hospice care. 

Cancer Services of North East Indiana were able to provide my parents with a cot for my dad.  Originally they had a water bed for the majority of their life.  But with the tubes draining his kidneys, my dad has to sleep in the recliner to be comfortable enough to sleep.  My mom would sleep on the couch to be able to sleep in the same room as my dad.  So the other day, Brandon was able to help get the water bed down and someone gave them regular mattress and frame so now they have dads cot and moms new mattress pushed together in their bed room.  It's made a great change so my dad doesn't have to spend day and night in the same room.  He now has somewhere to go at night and somewhere to go during the day.   With all this happening, my parents have had lots of family stop by.  We just had my Aunt Joan (my moms sister) and her husband Brian here from North Carolina.  Three weeks ago we had my Uncle Tom (dads oldest brother) and his wife Barb from Michigan here and my Uncle Tim (dads youngest brother) and his wife Patti here from Pennsylvania.  My moms brother Greg and his wife Colleen were able to make a day trip from Brookville, IN and my my moms cousins from Connersville were also to come up a couple weeks ago.  I hear my dads friends from high school from around Gettysburg, PA are trying to make a visit too.  It's been amazing to see old friendships of my parents get sparked again.  It just makes me sad that it took this to make it happen.  But a wise women told me (Kathi Elliott) that that is just the way things happen.  No one means for it to happen but everyone gets busy with their own lives and you grow apart but it's wonderful when you can reconnect again like no time went by.

A GREAT and AMAZING and HUGE blessing that has graced my parents past week is a new roof from the help from the community of College Park UB church.  My parents needed a new roof for a couple years.  The home they live in is a manufactured home and no one told them when they bought it that they can't refinance it.  So when things like a a new roof was needed, they just couldn't do it.  So a week ago Satuday about a dozen or so men from College Park come with everything for a new roof and went to town.  It's been a huge blessing.   Thanks to the guys who helped out with the roof and the women who helped out with the food.

As for wedding plans, we know the the photographer, the hair dresser, the caterer, the cake, the place, and THE DRESS!!!  Not just the dress but THE dress.  The dress of my dreams which I thought it wasn't possible but with the help of others, it worked out.  And if anyone is getting married go see Lyndi at Davids Bridal.  You will not be sorry.  She is phenomenal!!

My dad was able to leave the house for the first time in over a month this past Wednesday.  From what I understand there was a meeting for LOVE INC. (the organization my dad works for).  At first my dad and mom weren't sure if he was going to be able to make it.  Richard Strick, who is a pastor in Huntington and on the board for LOVE, insisted that my parents set up Skype so if my dad couldn't come he would still be able to be there in a way.   My mom couldn't figure out why he was so persistent.  Well Wednesday when they were able to go to the meeting, they found out.  My dad was award the Heart of a Servant award.  A very honoring and amazing award to be given.  My dad had no idea.  (P.S.  Richard:  if you read this, good idea keeping the secret from my mom.  She totally would've told him!)  My dad had even given his suggestions of who should get the award.    It was a fantastic thing that he was able to receive the award and to receive it in person. 





Every day I dread.  I want to stop time.  This anxiety and waiting game is the absolute worst thing I've ever gone through.  The worst part is, there is more "worse" to come.

2 comments:

Alyssa said...

I'm so pleased to hear of all the family and friends visiting. I'm also SUPER happy for all the help from the community and CP! And yay for THE dress!

jan said...

Dear Kristi, We love your parents so much and are so glad you are able to express your heart on this blog. It is really a bitter and sweet time for you right now, planning your wedding, but with your dad so ill. But we know that the Lord is sovereign, and we also are very thankful that he has been having some very good days. We are also praising God for the way that the family of God can come together. I saw your mom's dress, beautiful too. Yours must be awesome. God bless your every moment. Jan King and for Tom