Sunday, May 15, 2011

In Pieces

My world is upside down.  It is such a unreal feeling to know I can't pick up the phone and call my dad.  I won't walk into my parents house and see him sitting in his chair.  And he won't be walking me down the isle in 6 days.

We had a private family viewing the Monday after he died.  All the family that was already here gathered at the funeral home.  Something that was really important to me was having current pictures of my dad at his viewings.  But they were all on my computer and needed to be printed.  I went to Walmart the night before but got there too late.  So I woke up early Monday and went up.  I picked the ones I wanted and waited.  When I went back to pick them  up, the lady at the counter was having a bad day and taking it out on her customers (like me).  Apparently the printer had run out of paper and it was taking her FOREVER to get fixed.  I finally get the pictures.  I go back to my moms house to get ready.  I'm still waiting on Brandon at this point to get to Huntington with blank cds so I can burn the music I put together for the funeral home to play at the viewing.  He finally gets there and I'm getting ready while burning cds and putting together the new pictures.  We get up to the funeral home and everyone is already there minus my brother and his wife.  A few minutes later they show up.  We all gather around and pray and then get ready to see my dad in the casket.  If my dad had been there, I would have immediately been beside him.  Whenever there were crowds of people around, I would be beside dad.  He was my paper and I was his glue.  It was just the way it worked.  Since he wasn't there, I took my brothers arm instead.  He aloud me to just link my arms around his arm and we walked in. 

Tears streaming down my face.  Anger building up.  Loneliness sinking in.  Reality setting in.

My heart has never known this strong of hurt.  It engulfs and consumes you.  I HATE the fact that he isn't here.  I have never been so angry and hurt in my 24 years combined at my dad.  Standing by his casket at the funeral home I just wept.  Every inch of me was so mad and angry at my dad for leaving me.  I so desperately wanted to scream and shout and yell.


Orginally my mom agreed to a open casket for the family viewing.  She was so surprised how good he looked that she consulted my brother and I to see if it was alright to leave it open for the public viewing.  Both my brother and mom didn't care either way.  Me on the other hand.  I couldn't bare the thought of closing it because then I couldn't see him.  Even though he was dead, it still left like he was still here with the coffin open.  So my mom left it open.

So many people poured though the funeral home.  Many surprises of people who thought highly of my dad.  Old and new friends.  Co-workers of my dads, my moms, and even mine.

It then came time to leave the funeral home.  It was already decided that the casket would be closed at the church for the one hour viewing before the service.

I again wanted to yell at the top of my lungs.  I was and still am so angry.  So engulfed in anger.  I didn't want them to close the casket.  It meant the end for me.  I couldn't ever see my dad again.  Pictures just aren't the same.  Even though he isn't alive, just keeping the casket open was a way for me to still have him here.  I just wanted everyone to leave and leave me with my dad and just stay like that forever. 

As you guess by the top sentences, the wedding is still on.  No idea how I'm going to get through it.  Everyone keeps telling me he will be here in spirit and he is watching from Heaven.  But I think even my dad would agree that he would rather be here.

1 comment:

Ashley DeLaney said...

Of course there is nothing that will make your day as perfect as it would have been with your daddy beside you. But if it helps at all, I opted to walk down alone because that position was meant for no one BUT my dad. The night before the wedding, I started thinking I bad made a huge mistake and wouldnt be strong enough to do it alone. Standing in the back of the church waiting for the doors to open however, my dad was right beside me. I could feel the calm wash over me right when I needed him the most. This isn't to say I wasn't upset he couldn't be there or that my heart didn't break each time I thought of him that day but when I needed his strength the most, he gave it to me. I have no doubt your daddy will do the same for you. You are in my thoughts, girl. Hang in there!